The Value of Deep Thoughts

I believe that I am a deep thinker. 

I suppose most people feel like that they are deep thinkers, that their thoughts have some value to them.  I suspect that if people did not merit their own thoughts, did not believe what they processed through their mind had value, they probably would not like themselves very much. 

Most people would believe themselves to be intelligent, or at the least, having average intelligent.  Not many people go around calling themselves stupid, or devalue their own ideas.

So it is probably egotistical for me to state that I believe that I am a deeper thinker than most people.  Certainly, I live in no one else’s head but my own.  I do not know what thoughts pass through the brains of others, other than what passes through the filter of their mouth.  So it is very much possible that others have deep thoughts, as deep or deeper than mine. 

All I have for making such assessment is the words spoken by others, the ideas thrown out of the mouth while conversing informally, when communication is not vital, but customary. 

At such times, sitting in a crowd of two, three, four, or more, when the personal barriers are lowered, when the participants in the conversation are more likely to loosen the silly thoughts that they have because there are more people risking looking foolish in what they say, more distractions to deflect the misplaced word, that is when the depth of thought comes out.  It is then I observe, listen for the witticism, the concepts fermenting in the minds of others.

And from what I have observed, most people lack any depth of thought, spending time discussing inane subjects like sports and television programs, newly released movies.  The topics tend to trend toward the more current, the scandalous with a focus upon the celebrity.  It is a gritty exercise, mostly bogged down by sarcasm and harsh criticism, bordering on gossiping.  It is mindless and mind numbing. 

I suspect that this is one of the reasons that I find talking with other persons so difficult.  I don’t relish talking about such common-place rubbish.  Mostly, my mind is occupied in matching up the characteristics of the human condition to a narrative, trying to make sense out of my life’s experience by repackaging them into stories and poems.

I dissect the music I listen to, the movies I watch, the books I read, trying to find the elements that resonate with me so that I might understand more fully what makes me the person I am.

If I am attracted to a sensational story in the news, it is only as a result that it might have a bigger implication in my understanding of this world than the bare facts presented.  I start to place it within the confines of the web of the information grid existing in my head. 

Having said that, it is clear that deep thoughts have very little value in this world.  I may write or express such thoughts, but, in the end, the lack the flashiness, the shininess of sensational stories or juicy gossip.  In the end, deep thoughts don’t have conversational credit, and, therefore, best reserved for this blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE WONDERLAND OF THE AMERICAN POLITICAL SCENE

Story Idea: An exercise in magic realism (Rough Draft)

I AM AWFUL PERSON